I was at an impasse with my garden quilt. It wasn’t coming together as I had envisioned. I needed to create a new direction–Plan B, or C or D. So I put the quilt back on the machine to try again. I decided the quilt needed more color than just the thread. I decided to use Irena Bluhm’s technique of using colored pencils to create color. I was aiming for a sketchy look when it was done.
Michael, (my husband) came up with a solution for my sky dilemma. I went over the stipple 2 more times, in different colored threads creating a ribbon effect. Much better–thanks Mike. I couldn’t decide on quilting the background. Once again Mike had the simple solution. Take the quilt off the machine, color it and then decide if the background needs quilting.
I took the quilt home and began the coloring process. I started with the tomato leaves. One shade of green was not enough so I added a second shade of green. Then I used a yellow color as a highlight. I wanted more color depth and the pencils were not giving me the look I wanted–the look I had in my head. I tried using Neocolor II crayons over the top of the colored pencil. These crayons are water soluble and when I brushed on the water I got the effect I had in my mind.
Throughout the whole process, my buddy Casper (the namesake of Blacktail Design), was by my side. Usually he gets excited and wants to “help” when I bring out my paints and brushes. However, today he is content to supervise.
I learned that when I applied the water, it was hard to control the flow. This created a few places where the coloring was definitely out of the lines. That was my determining factor in coloring the entire background, turning the mistakes into a planned vision. Also, I decided the quilt needed to have the background quilted. Back on to the longarm machine for the finishing touches. It is now complete–except for a binding.
Michael says it looks like a picture in a childrens book. Mmmm….that gives me an idea. Maybe that will be another project for another day.